If you surf through lists of potential college majors but cannot find one that fits your needs, consider an online Bachelor of General Studies from Arkansas State University (A-State). The degree program prepares graduates for numerous career opportunities and provides a well-rounded education without being industry-specific.
Why Should I Choose General Studies?
Every year, more than 100,000 students graduate with a general studies degree, according to Data USA. A general studies degree may be the right choice for those who want to complete their undergraduate studies and increase their employment opportunities without specifying a major.
Courses in math, English, science, arts, humanities and the social sciences are usually required in an online general studies degree program. With an advisor’s help, students can choose their area of emphasis from among several options. For A-State’s online Bachelor of General Studies program, students choose two areas of emphasis from options such as:
- Industrial Management covers topics like leadership, management practices, statistics, operations systems research, renewable energy and quality assurance.
- Criminology explores criminal justice, juvenile delinquency, corrections, police and society, social justice and more.
- Communications focuses on communications theory and strategy, covering subjects like social media, interpersonal communication, public relations, advertising and persuasive communication.
- Health offers classes in public and community health, drug use and abuse, first aid and safety and consumer health.
- Physical Education examines PE curriculum, administration, athletic training, coaching and sport and society.
What Can I Do With a General Studies Degree?
A general studies degree provides a broad background that can be used in nearly any industry, from communications and public relations to education, industrial management and criminal justice. Plus, the skills that employers typically desire in a candidate — such as communication, critical thinking and other transferable skills — are those for which general studies graduates are known.
As a Bachelor of General Studies graduate, you might find career success in business, education, marketing, advertising, retail, information science, law enforcement, healthcare, project management, public relations or journalism. Careers in these fields offer solid income and advancement opportunities.
For instance, choosing a communications emphasis can prepare you for a public relations (PR) career. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), public relations specialists made a median annual salary of $67,440 in 2022. Moreover, Bachelor of General Studies graduates who focused on communications studies and have a few years of experience under their belts can pursue public relations manager roles. BLS reports these high-level PR management professionals earned a median wage of $129,430 in 2022.
An online general studies degree can be especially convenient for working adults and those raising a family. You can start classes anytime, anywhere and take as long as you need to complete your bachelor’s degree. Get started on your Bachelor of General Studies degree and open the door to the many options that are available to you as a college graduate.
Learn more about A-State’s online Bachelor of General Studies program.