Dr. Julie Smith, Assistant Professor
"I want to be an inspiration to others and help them open their eyes (and hearts) to possibilities they never thought imaginable. I want to instill knowledge, hope, and skills into my students."
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision — North Dakota State University, 2018
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Minority Fellow (2015)
- Minnesota State University Moorhead Alumni Achievement Award (2016)
- Lead Cultural Immersion programming for counselors and counselor educators in Rwanda Africa and on the White Earth Indian Reservation in Minnesota
- Presented at Healing our Spirits Worldwide Conferences in New Zealand and Australi
- Presented at Africa International Counseling Conference regarding incorporating Traditional Native American Healing Practices into evidence-based trauma therapy model
Links to share:
In which online degree program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
COUN 6013: Introduction to School Counseling
What do you want students to learn in your classes?
Why did you start teaching?
To help give back. The education system and the people in it gave me hope and changed my life. I want to be an inspiration to others and help them open their eyes — and hearts — to possibilities they never thought imaginable. I want to instill knowledge, hope and skills into my students.
What advice would you give to those considering this program?
If there is a little voice telling you that you should try it, my advice is to just go for it! If you are scared, good! If you are not sure how it will go, good! If you don't know what online learning is about, good! My advice is to try it, reach out to the school and your instructors. We are real people and would love to help you navigate the process.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
I am mixed race (White/Native American) who grew up on an Indian Reservation. I am a jingle dress dancer and hand drum singer.