If you surf through lists of potential college majors but cannot find one that fits your needs, consider an online Bachelor of General Studies. The degree offers numerous career options and a well-rounded education without being industry-specific.
Why should I choose general studies?
Every year, more than 100,000 students graduate with a general studies degree, according to College Factual. A general studies degree may be the right choice for those who want to complete their undergraduate studies without specifying a major. Courses in math, English, science, arts and humanities, and the social sciences are usually required in an online general studies degree program. And with an adviser’s help, you can choose your area of emphasis from among several areas. These may include:
- Technology – With classes in statistics, operations systems research, quality assurance and more
- Criminology – Includes coursework in criminal law and the Constitution, juvenile delinquency, and police and society
- Communications – Focuses on public relations, crisis management and promotional writing
- Health – Offers classes in public and community health, first aid and safety and consumer health
- Physical education – Includes classes in PE curriculum, concepts in athletic training and sports ethics
What can I do with a general studies degree?
According to recent surveys by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, liberal arts/general studies majors earned the top average starting salary – $41,605 – among liberal arts graduates with a bachelor’s degree alone. It was the only average salary of the liberal arts graduates to top $40,000. A general studies degree provides a broad background that can be used in nearly any industry. Plus, the skills that employers typically desire in a candidate, such as communication and critical thinking, are those for which general studies graduates are known. You might find career success in business, education, marketing, advertising, retail, information science, law enforcement, healthcare, project management, public relations or journalism.
An online general studies degree can be especially convenient for working adults and those raising a family. You can start classes anytime, anywhere and take as long as you need to complete your bachelor’s degree. Get started and open the door to the many options that are available to you as a college graduate.
Learn more about Arkansas State’s online Bachelor of General Studies program.